Leave your details


Sarane - Sapathe - NIRVAYA


December 16, 2012: A young paramedic student is raped and beaten up by six men in a moving private bus. She was thrown out of the bus after 30 minutes of torture along with her male friend. They are admitted to Delhi's Safdarjung Hospital the same night.

December 17, 2012: The four men who raped and assaulted the girl were identified. Doctors at Safdarjung Hospital determine full extent of internal injuries.

December 18, 2012: Students of the Jawaharlal Nehru University stage protest on the Ring Road near the Munirka signal against the gangrape. Delhi police arrests four accused including bus driver and main accused Ram Singh.

December 19, 2012: Doctors at Safdarjung Hospital treating the rape victim stated that she is communicating through writing messages but still not out of danger. Permit of the bus on which the incident took place was cancelled by the Transport Department.

December 20, 2012: The students from Jawaharlal Nehru University, Delhi University and Jamia Milia stage demonstration outside the residence of Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit. The eyewitness and male friend of the rape victim gives statement.

December 21, 2012: Safdarjung doctors say the victim is stable, but critical. She is taken off the ventilator. Her male friend identifies one of the rape accused, Mukesh, during the test identification parade at Tihar jail. The Delhi Police conducts raids in Haryana and Bihar to nab one more accused.

December 22, 2012: Protests against the Delhi gang rape pick up with nationwide outrage. Thousands gather at India Gate, as victim remains critical. The victim's statement is recorded before the sub-divisional magistrate.

December 23, 2012: The protests turn violent, as the protesters defy prohibitory orders. The police fire water cannons and tear gas shells. Delhi police aonstable Subhash Tomar got serious injuries during the clashes at India Gate. The rape victim's heath remains serious with bouts of vomiting, although she was communicating and conscious. The rape victim also suffered internal bleeding.

December 24, 2012: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh makes a statement on the Delhi gang rape case. He appeals for calm and assures stringent measures for the security of women in the country.

December 25, 2012: Doctors treating the rape victim stated that she is responding to the treatment. Platelet count and liver function of the victim improves. She gives her statement to metropolitan magistrate after CM Dikshit complains to Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde that senior cops "interfered" in the process. The victim's health deteriorates in the night. Constable Subhash Tomar succumbs to injuries sustained during December 23 protests at India Gate.

December 26, 2012: Protests against the Delhi gang rape continue at Jantar Mantar . Constable Tomar cremated with full state honours. In a sudden move, the victim in a critical condition shifted to Singapore's Mount Elizabeth Hospital.

December 27, 2012: The victim remains critical in the ICU of Mount Elizabeth Hospital, Singapore. Hundreds of security personnel from Delhi Police and para-military forces were deployed to deal with violent demonstration.

December 28, 2012: Doctors at Mount Elizabeth hospital in Singapore say the victim's condition worsened with signs of multiple organ failure. The victm had infection in the lungs and abdomen besides an injury to the brain.

December 29, 2012: The Delhi rape victim 'NIRVAYA' succumbs to her internal injuries after battling for over 12 days. The victim died at 2:15 am Indian Standard Time on December 29.

“I am proud of her. Revealing her name will give courage to other women who have survived these attacks. They will find strength from my daughter.” 
----- Badri Singh, father of NIRVAYA (Jyoti Singh)


Event Details

Rabindra Sadan
29 December 2013
04:00 PM - 06:30 PM IST
Add to Calendar 16:00:00 Asia/Calcutta Sarane - Sapathe - NIRVAYA Sarane - Sapathe - NIRVAYA Rabindra Sadan

Contact Details

View Event on

Share Event